Wednesday, September 28, 2011

twitter?

So, I just joined Twitter - I know, I know, I'm the last person on the planet to get on this bandwagon. Welcome to 2006, Rachel! But since blogs and Facebook suck up enough of my time, I figured I didn't need yet another distraction. And also, who cares what I have to say? Anyway, the girls at Sunday's blogging brunch kept talking it up, and curiosity got the best of me.

First tweet:


Problem is, I'm pretty clueless with this Twitter thing - somebody help me! What's all this # business? How do I respond to someone? Retweet? HUH? Is there a handbook somewhere to help an old lady out?

Also, I just did a search for some of my favorite bloggers and followed them. Is that cool...or stalkerish? How does that all work? I followed @BryanVoltaggio and @RichardBlais, too. That might be stalkerish. I don't know the etiquette for this thing. Who else should I be following?

Still trying to figure out what the fascination is with Twitter, but I'll give it a whirl. How is it different than a Facebook status update? If it ends up being a huge time suck and I'm just tweeting into space (how do people get 10,000 followers anyway?), I'm out. But for now...@FunnelcloudRach

6 comments:

Pickles and Dimes said...

I thought the same thing as you - I don't need another distraction! But I treat Twitter as a place for one-liners/rants I can't put on Facebook (because certain people might see it) or can't turn into a regular blog post.

Using the hashtag (#) is basically like tagging a post, which means if you tweet about your dogs and put the hashtag #dogswanttoeatus after it, then anyone searching on that hashtag will see your tweet in their search results.

If you want to respond to someone, use the @ (followed by their username) and your response will show up on your page, their page, and I think the page of anyone who follows that person.

If you want a private, one-on-one conversation with someone, use the DM feature. Only you and they will see your message.

Any other questions, let me know! I'm not on Twitter as much as I used to be and I know there are others out there who know everything about it!

BTW, I'm @picklesdimes. Feel free to stalk me!

Funnelcloud Rachel said...

Ahh, thank you, Shauna! I will definitely Twitter-stalk you! ;)

Marie said...

I do social networking as part of my job, and I always point people to Mashable's Twitter Guidebook: http://mashable.com/guidebook/twitter/ It explains a lot of the Twitter terminology and how to use it. Hope it helps!

Funnelcloud Rachel said...

Thanks, Marie - this is great!

Lisa (hello, suburbia) said...

Yay! Welcome to Twitter! I absolutely love Twitter. Just play around with it, you'll get the hang of it. Good luck :)

Michael Wurm Jr said...

i've had a twitter account for a couple years (i think) and i still don't know how to use it.

how people keep up with all these social media sites is beyond me.

until i figure out how to stop time or add more hours to my day, i just post something ever now and again to keep it current.

sorry i'm not more help. haha.

good luck! if you master the art of twitter, please let us know!