Wednesday, September 7, 2011

international meal | india

lamb samosas with apricot chutney
I love Indian cuisine - the spicy flavorful food, the fluffy naan, the curried sauce that gets sopped up by a pile of rice. So good. And I probably should've stuck with a simple saucy recipe served over rice for our Indian meal. But no - there were two complicated recipes that had caught my eye months before and I was determined to make them - lamb samosas due to our current obsession with both fried foods and any kind of meat served in a miniature pie (empanadas, sfeehas, etc), and rava dosas because I'm always excited to find flavorful vegetarian recipes.
rava dosas with chickpea & potato masala
The recipes weren't necessarily difficult, just time consuming. And each recipe was more like two or three recipes - the samosas required making a dough, a filling, and a chutney, while the rava dosas required a batter and a filling.

I started cooking in the late afternoon, before Larry got home. It was after 10pm by the time dinner was finally on the table. (Larry fixed himself a ham sandwich while he was waiting.) I will warn you that the samosa dough was a pain in the ass to roll out. It was like rolling out a brick. Once I put the samosas in the fryer, I realized that the sturdy dough was key in keeping the samosas together (unlike the ugly fried pies I made last month which split open in the fryer). The samosas also held up beautifully to being reheated in the microwave the next day.
rava dosas with chickpea & potato masala
On the menu:
As you can imagine, after cooking and sweating in the kitchen for hours, I wasn't in much of a mood to take pictures. Both of these dishes were delicious, and worth the effort, however, I would not recommend cooking them both for the same meal. Make one or the other and serve it with something simple. Like a pile of rice.
lamb samosas
Edited to add: I have no idea how to correctly fold samosas, so I ended up with these funny star-shaped approximations. While they may not be traditional, they still tasted good. Also, I substituted ground lamb for the lamb stew meat.

2 comments:

smstokesbury said...

This looks so delicious! Next time you and Larry come out to Denver, we have to take you to the Indian restaurant on Pearl. It keeps getting rated the best Indian restaurant in Denver and it is ADDICTIVE.

Funnelcloud Rachel said...

Sounds good, Sarah! Especially, since someone else then has to do the cooking and can probably get our meal on the table before 10pm!