Monday, September 23, 2013

week in the life | saturday

week in the life | saturday
Welcome to Showerless Saturday!

DSC_2114 ES crop
I start the day by packaging up more shop orders. One downside to self-employment/working from home is that my weekends often aren't all that different from my weekdays. Something to work on.

week in the life | saturday
One of our summer weekend traditions is that Larry and I go to the Falls Church Farmers Market together almost every Saturday morning to pick up produce for the week and breakfast for our bellies. I love walking along the path to the market and admiring the historic buildings along the way.

week in the life | saturday
Today we're in search of summer's last corn on the cob. We're planning to barbecue on Sunday night. Despite my desire to prolong summer, the weather is getting cooler, and we'd like one last sit-outside-and-eat-with-your-hands meal of grilled ribs and corn-on-the-cob.

week in the life | saturday
On the way home from the market, we have a couple of errands to run. Typical suburbia. Guess where we're going? Nope, not Massage Envy. (Whaaaat?!) Yup, the ABC Store. (I need Triple Sec for a new cocktail I want to try.)

week in the life | saturday
Next stop: The grocery store. AGAIN. Giant this time. If you're keeping track, I've been to four grocery stores (Whole Foods, Safeway, Wegmans, Giant) AND the Farmers Market this week. Ridiculous. Something else to work on: Not spending my entire life shopping for food.

week in the life | saturday
Milk, TP, beer. As Larry says "Now we're ready for a snowstorm." (Not shown: a bag of spinach and a container of feta. More nutritious, but less important for snowstorm survival.)

week in the life | saturday
Errands done, so we drive home. Another beautiful day!

week in the life | saturday
Back at home: Gravy tears up the paper bags from the liquor store.

week in the life | saturday
We eat lunch together on the patio: more egg salad. On a croissant. Larry wasn't cooperating with my attempts to document our meal, but Banjo was.

week in the life | saturday
Larry drags his smoker out of the shed to clean it out. Guess what's inside? A RAT'S NEST! Who wants to come over for dinner???

week in the life | saturday
Shredding is tiring.

week in the life | saturday
I call Mom to invite her over for dinner tomorrow night.

week in the life | saturday
And admire the beautiful day from our patio. Time to get out of the house and do something outside!

week in the life | saturday
We take the dogs for a walk in the cemetery across the street from our house. Another challenge with working from home: on weekends I am ready to get out of the house in search of adventure, while Larry is tired from commuting every day and just wants to stay local.

week in the life | saturday
It is a multi-cultural/multi-religions cemetery, so there are lots of interesting statues and monuments to see.

week in the life | saturday
The cemetery might seem like a morbid place for a walk, but it's peaceful and scenic.

week in the life | saturday
The dogs love walking here.

week in the life | saturday
Today we are in search of the pet cemetery, but our path is thwarted by a funeral. We accidently find the baby cemetery instead and this makes us sad, so we walk home via the sidewalk.

week in the life | saturday
Big tongue = sign of a successful walk.

week in the life | saturday
Making guacamole! My favorite non-traditional guac recipe includes pears, grapes, and pomegranate seeds. Yum!

week in the life | saturday
Spread out my quilt on the front lawn for a snack/reading break.

week in the life | saturday
Stuff my face with guac.

week in the life | saturday
Larry brings Gravy out to join me. Recipe for a perfect September Saturday: a beer, a book, and a snuggly puppy.

week in the life | saturday
Showerless Saturday comes to an end, when I finally take a shower and put on real clothes...just in time to go out for dinner! It's gotten chilly out, so I force myself to put on jeans for the first time in six months (my legs feel like they're being strangled), but I won't give up my flip flops.

week in the life | saturday
I wanted to go to a cocktail bar in Arlington that I've been dying to try, but Larry wants to stay nearby, so we walk down the street to El Tio - our favorite local Mexican dive. The waitress here always recognizes us and tonight she greets us with "Haven't seen you guys in a while! Where have you been?!" Love that!

week in the life | saturday
Tonight's dinner: beef chimichanga platter + fixins, chips and salsa, big ass daiquiri.

week in the life | saturday
After dinner we walk home.

week in the life | saturday
Back at home, Banjo practices personal hygiene.

week in the life | saturday
Meanwhile, our exciting Saturday night continues. I put away some dishes, and we fold laundry. Yes, chores happen on weekends, too. :(

week in the life | saturday
Evening floor time with the pups. "Don't forget where my tongue just was, Mom!"

week in the life | saturday
Banjo has perfected his technique of standing next to you until your hand reaches out to pet him without you even realizing it. He's a magnet for affection. He can even finagle some petting from the other side of the couch. The speed of his tail = the speed of the hand that pets him.

week in the life | saturday
My hair is still wet from my shower earlier today, so I decide to blowdry it before bed. (It takes forever to dry - Larry calls me "Sponge Hair".) I only blowdry/straighten my hair about once every five years - the rest of the time I just embrace the natural curly air-dried mess. (It may seem weird to blowdry at night, but since the process takes several hours it is not something I ever have time to do in the morning.)

week in the life | saturday
Hair straight, time for bed. (After an episode of Scandal on Netflix!)

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I worked FT from home for 2yrs so I totally get the whole going to the grocery store 5x a week and not wearing 'real' clothes. It's a tough balance -- especially when Hubs worked FT, came home, was tired, and I was ready to go off and do *anything*.


I split my time now between working at home and working on site -- still working balancing my work time so that it doesn't extend into nights and weekends though sometimes that's the only time that works. What seems to work for me is just blocking off my time on my calendar so that I know what is work and what is free time and I'll just schedule around that. I'll even schedule in downtime so that we don't get burned out with the constant need to "enjoy the weekend."

Doesn't always work, but it's at least some sort of framework.

Jonathan Hopwood said...

I'm all in favor of showerless Saturdays!

Karin said...

My roommate and I love TNT! I'd be happy to go with you if Larry's too tired. :)