Tuesday, August 9, 2011

life list #158: make my own ketchup

homemade chipotle ketchup
I suppose making ketchup is a strange thing to have on one's Life List, but it was on mine, and now it's crossed off. Check!

The recipe I made was Chipotle Ketchup. It has three, count 'em, THREE, chipotles in it. And when I first tasted it, whoo, daddy, I thought it was way too spicy and that I should've stuck with a regular ketchup recipe first.

But the next night we fried up a batch of steak fries and dipped them in the chipotle ketchup, and I have to say, that is some good stuff! Completely addictive. It is spicy, but have a cold beer on hand and you'll be fine. This ain't no Heinz 57 - it is a very complex and adult ketchup. I highly recommend it. In fact, by the end of the meal we were dipping our NY strip steaks in it - under any other circumstances I would've considered ketchup on steaks blasphemous - but it was so good!
homemade chipotle ketchup
Also, making ketchup from scratch is so easy.
Step One: tomatoes, onions, vinegar, brown sugar, chipotles, and spices into the pot.
homemade chipotle ketchup
Step Two: Simmer for an hour. Puree.
homemade chipotle ketchup
Done!
homemade chipotle ketchup
homemade chipotle ketchup
Tip: It helps if you have ketchup-colored walls in your kitchen! (Particularly, if you take your eyes off the pot and there is an eruption of Mount St. Ketchup...) This is also useful when making spaghetti sauce. Or chili.
homemade chipotle ketchup
hey, you gonna eat that?
Hey, you gonna eat that?

No comments: