Sunday, September 28, 2014

life list #29a: see a mountain goat in the wild

mount evans, colorado
Are you mocking me, Goat?

It's been a long time since I wrote a Life List post, but as I was scrolling through my list of all the things I wanted (or thought I wanted) to do with my life since 2006, I realized I've checked off quite a few items in the last year. (I also realized it's time to revisit that list - there is some hilarious stuff on there and it might be time for an update!)

Anyway, I've been on the quest to see a mountain goat or a bighorn sheep in the wild since Larry and I first visited Colorado together in 2005. We've been to numerous national parks together and time after time, these creatures have evaded me. FOR NINE YEARS. It's become almost comical.
mount evans, colorado
On my fourth trip to Colorado in July, I finally saw and photographed the elusive mountain goat on Mount Evans. With a summit at over 14,000 feet, Mount Evans is the highest paved road in North America, and my friend Sarah, who lives in Denver, assured me that every time she's been up Mount Evans she has seen mountain goats. Ah, but you haven't tried to see mountain goats with me, Sarah. Something *will* go wrong...
flat
(Told you so!)
mount evans, colorado
mount evans, colorado
mount evans, colorado
mount evans, colorado
Looking for goats? Pondering the meaning of the universe? Appreciating the awesome beauty of the natural world? 
Nope, she was intrigued by that drainage culvert.

Our expedition to see the goats actually took two attempts over a span of two days. There were originally six of us who started out on this adventure, but due to flat tires and other mishaps, only three of us made it to the top. (The girls, obviously!)
mount evans, colorado
It was worth it. Mount Evans was beautiful. And I FINALLY saw a goat. Not just one goat, but LOTS of goats, including the jerk who stuck his tongue out at me. Also, BABY GOATS.
mount evans, colorado
mount evans, colorado
mount evans, colorado
mount evans, colorado
mount evans, colorado
mount evans, colorado
mount evans, colorado
mount evans, colorado
mount evans, colorado
mount evans, colorado
mount evans, colorado
My nine year quest to see a mountain goat is finally over. Life List #29: Finally see an elusive mountain goat or bighorn sheep in the wild. Take its picture. Check...

But I'm still searching for that blasted bighorn sheep!

3 comments:

I Am Woody said...

So funny because a running joke in our family was that bighorn sheep were actually extinct. It was just a big coverup by the National Park Service - the stuffed animals in the gift shop, the photos. All was really a farce!

Funnelcloud Rachel said...

Woody - That's hilarious! My husband & BFF have both seen Bighorn Sheep, but I'm convinced they don't actually exist!

giaonhan247 said...

Thanks for sharing, nice post! Post really provice useful information!

FadoExpress là một trong những top công ty chuyển phát nhanh quốc tế hàng đầu chuyên vận chuyển, chuyển phát nhanh siêu tốc đi khắp thế giới, nổi bật là dịch vụ gửi hàng đi nhậtgửi hàng đi pháp và dịch vụ chuyển phát nhanh đi hàn quốc uy tín, giá rẻ