Friday, November 16, 2012

weekend adventures: linden vineyards

linden vineyards
A couple weekends ago, I spent a beautiful Saturday in Virginia wine country with one of my favorite partners in crime:
linden vineyards
She's trying to conceal her identity here, but I think we all know it's Jane from The Borrowed Abode!

I love visiting Virginia wineries (see my 33rd birthday and Virginia Grapehounds), but had never been to Jane's favorite winery: Linden Vineyards. As soon as we got there, I understood why this place is Jane's favorite. The scenery is fantastic. The winery itself is the perfect combination of rustic architecture and modern art. And most importantly, the wine is delicious!
linden vineyards
linden vineyards
We spent the day enjoying a glass of wine on the porch while overlooking the mountains and fall foliage, chatting with the owner, and tasting wines in both their tasting room and the cellar:
linden vineyards
linden vineyards
linden vineyards
linden vineyards
linden vineyards
linden vineyards
linden vineyards
Since we didn't have the boys with us, we ventured out into the vineyards and spent the remainder of the afternoon taking ourselves on a self-guided photo tour (and tasting grapes straight from the vines!). It turns out that neither Larry nor Ryan tolerate waiting around while Jane and I take pictures! (Are all boys like this???)
DSC_4721 E crop
linden vineyards
DSC_4700 ES crop
DSC_4711 E
linden vineyards
linden vineyards
Perhaps it would be more accurate to say that Jane photographed the vineyard, while I photographed Jane photographing the vineyard! Seriously, I think Jane missed her calling as National Geographic photographer. Perhaps she could specialize in photographing grape vines:
linden vineyards
Or worms:
linden vineyards
(If I were a worm, I would want to live in a vineyard!)

While Jane seems to have mastered holding a wine glass and camera simultaneously, I only managed to spill my wine on the ground. (Sad trombone!) Which I suppose was only marginally better than spilling it on my pants. (At least it was white wine!)

Just when I thought the fun was over and we got in the car to head home, Jane reached in the backseat and pulled out a smorgasbord of bread, cheese, and chutney. She then whipped out a knife and demonstrated how to cut a baguette on her steering wheel:
linden vineyards
Seriously, everyone needs a friend like Jane in their lives!

It was a perfect fall afternoon of wine, beautiful scenery, and good company - thanks so much for inviting me to tag along, Jane!

2 comments:

Sarah said...

How fun! I've never been to that winery but am definitely adding it to the list, it looks fantastic. What a fun day. :)

Funnelcloud Rachel said...

Sarah, I think you'd really like it. Great atmosphere (they don't allow tour groups or limos, so it's nice and laid back and not too crowded) AND it's right down the road from The Apple House!